The latest news item was posted 12 days ago:
filed on: 14.06.2006 (14th Jun 2006)
The curent edition of Tram magazine (86/06-08.2006) has an interesting article on Albisgütlibahn (AGB), the private company that built and operated the tram line from the Sihltalbahn railway crossing to Albisgütli. The line was opened in 1907 and taken over by the city in 1925. It is now part of route 13. Interest in this company has grown recently following the return of an AGB tram to Zürich for preservation (see also 08.02.2006). It is quite remarkable that all five AGB tramcars survive. Three cars were sold to StStZ in 1914, with the fleet being re-united when AGB was integrated into StStZ in 1925. In 1953 one car went to BVB (Bex-Villars-Bretaye) with the remaining four going to Innsbruck in 1955.
The magazine further reports that the last Mirage overhauls (R.A.) are currently in hand. The latest vehicles treated are 1673 and 1678, with 1678 next on the list. 1697, 1702 and 1708 have been transferred to the main workshops for scrapping. With two new Cobras ariving every month over the coming years, the rate of withdrawals is set to increase. If space allows, a P16 and trailer, a pair of Mirages and a standard trailer will be set aside for the heritage fleet.
Oerlikon depot will be extended by four tracks for the Glattalbahn trams.
The trolleybus situation in Bern will shortly see lines 13 and 14 going over to diesel working, leading to the withdrawal of many older vehicles. The lines concerned may later be replaced by Tram Bern West.
This news item is from the 2006 newslog.
to link to this item please use: